First flew on November 5, 1952 and transferred to Naval Air Station Quonset Point on November 25, 1952 and on to Naval Air Station Norfolk on December 15; preserved for shipment and prepped for UK delivery on Her Majesty's Ship Perseus January 26, 1953.
Arrived Royal Naval Air Station Abbotsinch February 19, 1953 and left for Culdrose on March 6, joining 849 Squadron A Flight as/becoming '309/J' until September 1954 when it was replaced but remained at Culdrose until Janaury 1, 1955. By July 1955 to Abbotsinch, where it remained until December 1957; transferred back to Culdrose and modernized, prior to joining B Flight in July 1958 coded to 431/V by August 1958, and 451/V in May 1960 when delivered to storage at AHU Culdrose. It was officially Struck off Charge July 18, 1962 and delivered direct to Scottish Aviation Limited at Prestwick on July 20 wearing the markings G-31. Refurbished and converted for target-towing during 1962/1963, making its first flight in new configuration June 1963; allotted SE-EBM and delivered to Svensk Flygtjanst on July 9, 1963. It was entered in Coys of Kensington sale 1985; allotted G-BMFC and shipped to North Weald September 16, 1985, and placed in storage. Acquired by Erickson Air-Crane on April 20, 1990 and transported to Chino Airport, L.A. Purchased by the current owner on April 2, 1991.
This Skyraider has no damage history. It is all original and ready for restoration. The aircraft has been in Robert F. Dorr's book on the history of the AD4 Skyraider